Special Educational Needs

Parents are required to provide an efficient, full-time education suitable to the age, ability and aptitude of their child, this applies equally to a child who had Special Educations Needs (SEN).

If your child attends a mainstream school and has a statement of SEN you will need to send a deregistration letter to the head teacher informing them that you wish for your child’s name to be removed from the school register (as you would do for a child without SEN).

If your child attends a special school you need to contact Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council (DMBC) to ask for permission.  Your child will be removed from the register once the DMBC have received confirmation of contact details and educational provision.

When a child has a statement of SEN the local authority must still ensure that the child’s special educational needs are being met and must hold annual reviews of the statement, however, some parts of the statement will not be relevant to home education.  There is information and support available, this isn’t necessarily as scary as it might sound.

There are many home educated children with SEN (including some locally) and various online support and discussion groups are available.

You may find it helpful to read more about home educating a child with SEN at the following sites: